Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog Post 7

The Future



The Networked Student

This was a very interesting video about the powers of networking and connectivity. The video was done by drawing cartoon cut-outs on paper and then using a voice-over program. I think that using cut-outs and a voice over made the listener focus more on what the narrator was saying than visual effects or something else.

If nothing else, the video made great points about the power of connectivity and networking as a tool for learning and advancement. The video depicts the student learning through different types of technology, including Google Scholar and iTunes University. Furthermore, the student in the video gains an audience with a documentary maker and organizes a web interview with the class. I think that the video by Ms. Drexler makes a great point in that it is important to take advantage of the vast networking resources that we have surrounding us. Why not use what we can to the best of our abilities? The video concludes by addressing the statement made in the beginning of the video about the responsibilities of the teacher in the psychology class. Basically, according to the video, the function of the teacher in this class is to be a facilitator, a resource, a guide, a catalyst, and a source of knowledge. Never does the narrator mention that the teacher is to be a lecturer, hand-holder, or test-teacher and I think that was kind of the point. We should help our students to learn and to learn to learn independently.

A Seventh Grader's PLE was better than my PLN in almost every way. HA! Well, she has been working on it longer, but she still blows me out of the water pretty much. But I do think I'll get better at it. I'll organize more and I'll put more things on there eventually, right now it's just looks a little paltry. It seems like a really great tool though.

2 comments:

  1. Teachers also have to create the environment in which learning takes place. That is a challenge a lot of teachers never think about. They just want to follow the plans of others. That often does not work!

    Interesting. Thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is definitly the product of a Networked Student! I wanted mine to be at least half as good as hers, so I did some research on developing PLNs. I came across some great pointers and applied them to my PLN. It really made a difference, therefore, I shared them in my post. I hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete