Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blog Post 2



Did You Know? 3.0


I thought that this video was a great watch for this class. The introductory parts about China and India in relation to the United States were, at first, surprising. I think the fact about China and their English speakers was more surprising because the video stated that 300 million people in China were learners of English. That's amazing! I don't know how many people in the United States are learning Chinese, but I'm sure the percentage is far less than people in China learning English.
The next few slides in the video were about technology. Specifically the internet, including Google and YouTube, and cell phones. Even though the statistics were from two years ago, they stood out to me. If you really think about how much information is put out through social media sites, sent across SMS messages, or looked up through Google or other search engines, I think it makes an impact.

Mr. Winkle Wakes

I really enjoyed watching this video. The video starts with Mr. Winkle waking up after being asleep for a hundred years, an allusion to Rip Van Winkle. Anyway, Mr. Winkle wakes up to find that most things in the world have changed, with one glaring omission: the classroom. Mr. Winkle discovers that though technology has enhanced, the classroom has remained stagnant.
This video makes a good point because though media, and social networks have flourished, adapted, and increased exponentially in number and type, our classrooms have remained the same style throughout this century. I think that our classrooms could see drastic improvements in the near future. Already teachers have adapted and used creative ideas like the worldwide classroom. I believe that the classroom can be made better with the use of helpful technologies and open-minded teachers and administrations.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

In this video, Sir Robinson speaks about the importance of creativity and nationwide schools' failure to recognize it. Sir Robinson states that because schools are so caught up in core subjects like Math, English, and Science, they forget the importance and impact that art can have in a student's life. The Arts, Sir Robinson says, are as important as the core subjects.
I tend to agree with Sir Robinson. The reason that the core subjects are so emphasized, I believe, has a lot to do with standardized tests and the average scores of the students taking them. I realize that being a good test taker is a great skill to have, and that it is important for students to have a firm grasp of the aforementioned core subjects, but I do also think that the arts help foster creativity, and creativity is important in problem solving. Knowing what reverse osmosis means or what the square root of Pi is is not really going to help anybody in the future; at least not in terms of most workplaces or determining creative solutions.

A Vision for 21st Century Learning

One of the arguments this video makes is against standardized education and how it is structured today. The speaker in the video recites that students are in a learning environment that was created as a response to the industrial revolution at the turn of the 20th century. He states that students are memorizing facts, getting filled with information, and listening to lecture after lecture from one grade to the next. Even though students are getting exposed to technology during or before kindergarten, technology is not used for learning as much as it could be. The speaker further states the importance of technology in our global society as it pertains to everyday life and global connectivity.
He then offers a solution: video games. Not in the traditional sense, but studying different cultures and civilizations through game based learning. I think the speaker is right on the money in this video. I, personally, have learned more about things like football, basketball, and baseball from video games than from written text from any books or even websites that I've read. It makes sense, we learn by doing, seeing, and hearing. Though reading comprehension is another factor involved, sometimes it is simply best to see or hear it done and learn through interaction.


Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts


I thought Vicki Davis' video was very well put together, as well as educational and valuable for prospective teachers. Davis shows how useful technology can be in the classroom by coupling computer technology with literacy and life skills. One of the best things Davis does is let her students communicate with other students internationally and worldwide. She implements new social networks and utilizes technological communications very effectively.
I think that Vicki Davis is a great example of the way that the classroom is heading. I believe that by using these new networks, technologies, and ideas, she is creating a better and faster learning environment. I think that this video is incredibly valuable for teachers who either have trouble implementing technology or are just starting out. We could all learn a lot from Vicki Davis.

3 comments:

  1. "I think that our classrooms could see drastic improvements in the near future." I certainly hope so!

    " We could all learn a lot from Vicki Davis." Correct!

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Levi, I am in the MW4 EDM 310 class. Note your blog post should be edited to post #2, just a small administrative thing, but it did confuse me for a moment. I can tell you are in favor of technology teaching. Like you I can see the value for gifted and talented, and even for the exceptional children who would benefit greatly from computer type instruction. I do however find myself questioning the ultimate effectiveness. While playing games is a great way to learn, it is only one way. Not everyone can learn by interaction. Great post. Thought provoking. Let me know what you think Terri or check out my blog at Terri.

    ReplyDelete