Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blog Post 3

Technology in Special Education

This video stood out to me simply because I have never realized how much technology can help out with Special Education. It makes sense though; I believe it is important to utilize technology in such a way that it benefits those who need it the most. As with most students, special education students are able to learn better and faster with the aid of technology in the classroom.

I think that the use of technology can sometimes be thought of as a welcomed commodity, but not something that everyone could use. In our society today though, while most of the newest phones and laptops can be outrageously priced, helpful softwares that are used in the classroom should be readily accessible. I think that with how far we've progressed, using technology for special education should be something we're excited about, but not content with. I believe that, while we've already made progress, progress can still be made.

My App For the Classroom

I chose an app called "Shakespeare in Bits: Romeo and Juliet" as an App that I would use in the classroom. I decided on this app because I plan on being a high school English teacher and know that sometimes, even though he was one of the greatest authors ever, Shakespeare can be confusing. This app adds a visual element to a difficult to grasp period in literature. It would be perfect for a middle school or ninth grade class.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

After visiting this website, I was reminded of the video that we watched at the beginning of this course. Though I am from this generation and deeply imbedded in many types of social media, I can't even come close to understanding how much information goes out per second, even though I was looking right at the numbers.

As a teacher, it was interesting to note because it definitely highlighted the fact that our society is becoming more and more technologically inclined. I still believe in the power of books and that sometimes it's just better when reading a hard-cover book as opposed to an e-book, but I do recognize the obvious rise of technological techniques in teaching. It interested me that Facebook was still at the top of the list, though I sort of expected it, I like the simple side of Twitter better.


A Vision of Students Today

This video was one of the most interesting videos I've seen in a while. I think that painting a picture of the "current student" is an ever-changing project and an almost impossible endeavor, given the complex and diverse nature of our society. With that being said, I think that Wesch did a great job.

I think it was a great contrast, using the chalkboard as a symbol of the "old way" of teaching against the computers and the new way. Students are going to be on the internet, on computers, playing games, texting, and tweeting, it is up to us to use the avenues that the students most easily use. We need to adapt to the direction that the learning environment is headed.

1 comment:

  1. Levi,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post. You write very well and that is a good thing considering you are going to be an English teacher! Be sure to add clickable links and a picture to future blog posts!

    ReplyDelete